- This event has passed.
NAMI Basics Class
February 22 @ 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm| Free
NAMI Sioux Falls offers the NAMI Basics class for parents/caregivers of children or adolescents with a mental illness.
Call Anney Geraets, Program Coordinator, at 605-376-0595 to register. Pre-registration is required. Or you may email: firstname.lastname@example.org
What is NAMI Basics?
- An interactive six-session course designed for parents and other family caregivers of children and adolescents (22 years or younger) living with a mental health condition.
- Available free of charge to participants.
- Delivered in a series of 6 weekly consecutive classes.
- Taught by trained teachers who are also parents or other family caregivers of individuals who developed the symptoms of emotional or behavioral disturbances before the age of 13.
- NAMI Basics does not recommend or endorse any medications or other medical therapies.
- NAMI Basics is copyrighted.
The goals of NAMI Basics are to:
- Give the parent/caregiver the necessary information to be as effective as possible.
- Help the parent/caregiver take the best care possible of the entire family—especially themselves.
- Provide tools for the parent/caregiver that will assist them in making the best decisions possible for the care of the child.
- Empower parents/caregivers to be advocates for their children.
- Provide a sense of community and hope to aid in the journey toward recovery.